Seem like I'm falling down the cajón rabbit hole. I had no idea a simple wooden box you're sitting on could emulate a drum kit.
I'm pretty close to pick one, I mean, since I already play an instrument which is basically a flying saucer, why not supplement it with a wooden box?
Because learning several instruments at the same time is something stupid that I decided to stop a couple of weeks ago... heh.
Justifying my craving for a cajón by thinking that I could use it as an office chair. It would allow me to:
- practice anytime
- always keep a straight back since you’re supposed to play it with a straight back
- get up regularly because it’s not that comfortable
- rock on it as much as I want without destroying a chair
- annoy my coworkers by dropping sick beats anytime, especially during meetings, as an alternative to annoy them with my mechanical keyboard
The four stages of cajón playing discovery:
- This sounds like shit, it's just a wooden box.
- Wait, maybe it doesn't, but I'm an utter failure of a human being who cannot slap a box properly.
- Wow, I get it, this sounds awesome (but I need a few hundred hours or practice)
- At least I can use it as a chair.
@jameschip It’s probably the same for every instrument, but here the brutal minimalism really asks for a careful exploration to see through the apparent lack of nuance. It’s pretty subtle actually.
@ice definitely. Most other instruments have a look about them of “i am going to have to work this out”. These have a look of “it’s just a fucking box, work you bastard! Why won’t you just work!”
Revel in the marvels of the universe. We are a collective of forward-thinking individuals who strive to better ourselves and our surroundings through constant creation. We express ourselves through music, art, games, and writing. We also put great value in play. A warm welcome to any like-minded people who feel these ideals resonate with them.