Yes our software hasn’t gotten better and we’ve gotten soft. But capitalism demands your products be successful to live. And even then its no promise of a livelihood. Success is currently defined as users who pay extra money(Apple) or users who give up privacy for a deal(Google).
With the gameboy for example you always had the same configuration. You always had the same delivery. Always had the same hardware the same ux the same everything. Test it with a few folks and ship it.
The real issue is that the web, the operating system, the network, and the hardware have all become a hyper vc fueled moving target. You could write extremely safe and optimized haskell, with a qa team of hundreds or thousands and not even crack a dent in all the different configurations your software might run in.
16:10 is better https://bartongeorge.io/2020/01/01/introducing-the-2020-xps-13-developer-edition-this-one-goes-to-32/ this might be my macbook replacement.
- If working with text, a good scripting language is fine just make sure its not tied to the JVM. (Clojure is not a great scripting lang IMO)
- If working with a server use a server language with low memory footprint (Ruby burned me)
- If working on the front end I'm sorry its all in a really rough spot right now. HTML + CSS plain is probably my best bet. I like ELM but its not perfect.
So, just because I was pissed -- literally and figuratively -- people realized they have no implementation or transition plan.
... which, in the end, is actually a good thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuIIjLr6vUA I love this youtube channel. I watched this video last night and had multiple dreams about Ramanujan
for those wondering how to establish trade relations with crows:
- feed crows food A regularly
- when crows decide to bring you gifts, feed them food B
- when crows bring you different categories of gifts, feed them a food-per-category, ex: food C for jewelry, food D for paper money, etc
- crows will recognize these exchange patterns and opt to bring you things in order to acquire desired treats
good luck! 🐦
Making really tiny graphics demos in WASM. http://cliffle.com/blog/bare-metal-wasm/
Also using a library called elm-ui that handles all css and positioning and styles. It also forces accessibility best practices through the compiler. I haven’t opened a single non-elm doc and I made that app in a few hours over a few days.
There is non-insignificant js and css for musickitjs glue code and animations. But I just grabed a few from animate.css and tossed into a style tag.
Also used parceljs for bundling Everything because life is too short for webpack.
Regularly mid session I will break everything and slowly but surely, one compiler error at a time it will compile and just work. Its honestly a magic feeling.
Merveilles is a community project aimed at the establishment of new ways of speaking, seeing and organizing information — A culture that seeks augmentation through the arts of engineering and design. A warm welcome to any like-minded people who feel these ideals resonate with them.