The second question is more specific, and is directed to the businesses that still specialize in making Japanese family crests.
The crest "三つ大" or "三ツ大" has a few common variants, and as far as I can tell, it dates back to at least the Edo period.
One of its variants looks like the biohazard symbol, designed in 1966 by an American trying to invent an icon that had no previous meaning.
My question is, how has the biohazard symbol affected the use and interpretation of the 三つ大 crest?
You all probably won’t be looking at your computer screens today, so I’m uploading this early.
From Japantown in Senni Francisco, congrats to the crew of Pino on their astronomical nautical success! You and this community you introduced me to are very re-markl-ble people.
Have tons of fun catching up with old friends (such as Tokyo), and good luck on your next endeavors!
I'm trying to isolate a sound effect. I can see it quite clearly in Audacity's spectrogram view: its main component is those streaks that look like a meteor shower.
I doubt I can isolate one 100%, but I'm not even sure what my next steps are. My end goal is to synthesize this sound effect myself, procedurally, with WebAudio, but any kind of progress would be helpful at this point.
Any ideas, soundpeeps?
It all comes down to minimizing the amount of structural integrity you demand of your mesh before it's fully printed.
Since this thing is composed of a bunch of extruded squares, lots of its parts can just be laid out flat. The two curls will need supports added, which lots of free apps can do automatically.
Last night, though, I had to manually stitch some of this stuff together in Blender, so that the printer software would recognize overlapping geometries as parts of the same solid.
The shape itself is a little less audacious than the first attempt's— for instance, the R has lost its pompadour curl in favor of a backwards 90° bend. This is so the geometry fits nicely in a rectangular prism. It's boxy when viewed from the front, so it only makes sense to look boxy when viewed from the top and sides.
I'll put the code in a public repo once I fix this STL exporter bug. 😅
Quick update on my 3D logoform project:
First off, I figured all the math out. My last attempt's positions were weird fractions, because Rezmason v21.5 used √2 in the logo. It's a ten year long self-troll. 👹 Anyway, the positions of things are now much cleaner!
The off-the-shelf halftone shader I'd used was absolutely choking on larger canvas sizes, so I swapped it with someone's ten year old Shadertoy code, with minor modifications (read: bug fixes).
Tonight it becomes an STL!
Ultima Thule, people.
When the Sun was new, two objects locked in a tight, slow orbit collided at the speed of a typical "fender bender", and then stayed that way.
When a student driver tries to parallel park a satellite, it might look a little like this.
The probe will send higher res imagery in the coming months.
.....Ohhh, all right, all right!
Exclusive Merveilles Inverted edition, happy holidays ya nerds ⚗️
I keep forgetting I'd done this project, two years ago now. If you like chemistry, color, vector graphics and data visualizations, you might enjoy James Franklin Hyde's periodic table of elements from 1975:
My first resumes and portfolios had a little Flash toy of swirling DNA in the corner. I'm bringing it back, and incorporating my signature color palette into it. A media query hides it, and toggles its animation.
This sort of thing will always be more intuitive than me than basic CSS, skillset marketability be damned.
I forget whether I ever shared this on the Slack, so, here's some graphics I made based on Django Django's Marble Skies vid.
Revel in the marvels of the universe.