I know in the bigger scheme of things I'm doing great, but these smaller setbacks are SO HARD to suck up man.
haven't been making keys for two weeks because opening the mold and seeing some with no feet bc air bubbles or finding another crack in the mold. just. sucks.
At the same time I feel like I'm so close it's not worth to make a new mold, try a different way of compressing it or another solution to the air bubble problem
should've maybe CWd this with "venting", sorry
@s_ol what material are the keys made of? could bubbles be moved to a safe zone with vibration while the material is still liquid?
These prototypes are made of epoxy, see process docs here: https://fabacademy.org/2020/labs/opendot/students/sol-bekic/log/15/
I've tried vacuum, but it barely made any difference, I'm not sure if vibration would be any better. This only started to become a problem as I fiddled more with other parts of the process (how to get the keys out of the mold after), before that I only ever had small bubbles on the inside. Think I just have to go back a few steps.
The page above doesn't really document all of the things I've tried after the first two keys, I'll have to update that eventually - there was a lot of lessons learned, and I'm not done either.
Also, I'm in talks to get real keys made using injection molding at some point, so I don't *have* to figure out a perfect workflow ;)
Merveilles is a community project aimed at the establishment of new ways of speaking, seeing and organizing information — A culture that seeks augmentation through the arts of engineering and design. A warm welcome to any like-minded people who feel these ideals resonate with them.